http://thedailylindsey.com header image 2

Dark whimsy

June 24th, 2010 · 6 Comments · los angeles

{image by amongtheseclouds via Flickr}

Thanks to my boyfriend, within the last couple years I’ve come to appreciate the dark whimsical world of Tim Burton’s films. The man’s got style! I got re-acquainted with Pee Wee’s Big Adventure, of all places, in a Hollywood cemetery last summer. Then a couple weeks ago we loaded up our Netflix queue with Beetlejuice. The next night we attempted to watch James and the Giant Peach but had to abort that idea as soon as we realized it was Disney-ized very terribly! I’ve come a long way considering that as a kid I used to immediately change the channel when anything remotely dark and creepy appeared on the TV, seriously. Remember that show on Nickelodeon called “Are You Afraid of the Dark?” I couldn’t stand to watch it!

Which leads me to share with you the best news I’ve heard all week: The Tim Burton exhibition that opened at New York’s MoMA last November is coming to LACMA …in May 2011. It may be nearly a year from now, but the way the months keep flying by, it will feel like no time at all. Some 700 pieces of art from Burton’s personal collection as well as from studio archives and private collections of Burton’s collaborators will be on display. I wonder if the models for Large Marge’s head will be among those pieces…. (article via Culture Monster)

{image by Tasayu Tasnaphun via Flickr}

Tags: ··

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 Alicia // Jun 24, 2010 at 9:37 am

Oh i bet Tim Burton’s exhibit is definitely worth seeing!

• 2 mistah whishkas // Jun 24, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Well now hold up…i didn’t feel james and the giant peached was “disney-fied”. I thought it just was dated and the story not introduced clearly. That the designs might be as appealing as they could have been (Maybe it was simply the lack of eye whites on the main character, I couldn’t connect to him) and that, for example, a scene where they are all chumming around would be a dark and green lighting rather than warm. When we finally got into the peach it was still very dark…which may have been deliberate trying make the shot where we’re on top of the peach sailing dramatically brighter and more pleasant than where we’d been….but that was a full half hour in. I remember loving it as a kid, so maybe a kid would still like it…it seemed fairly terrifying now. Maybe I was tougher as a kid.

• 3 Lindsey // Jun 24, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Oh mistah whishkas, c’mon admit that you rolled your eyes has soon as james started singing! you could barely stand it :)

• 4 mistah whishkas // Jun 24, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Yeah that’s definitely true…

• 5 mistah whishkas // Jun 24, 2010 at 5:22 pm

wait a minute…why did I have to “ADMIT” that? I never hid that.

• 6 Kelly // Jun 25, 2010 at 3:13 am

Love Tim Burton!! I wish I was in the states for the exhibit, but I unfortunately won’t be!!

<3 Kelly